Saturday, November 15, 2008

Second Week of Field Work


Hello! Wow this second week just flew by! I taught a lesson about Roman Aqueducts with the students and I was amazed at how well it went. I took the agriculture approach and the students were really into it, asking really amazing questions. We are getting to do a lot of different activiities with the students now, like giving spelling tests and helping with math and writing. I can't believe there's only one week left, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to an assembly with seven war veterans on Veterans day. It was moving, I was very emotional the entire time. The veterans that came and spoke to us, brought their flags and led us in the pledge of allegience, then each veteran was introduced. I kept thinking back to the time they went to war and how different our country was then, more patriotic, grateful and unified. As opposed to state of affairs we find ourselves in with a new president who won't even put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. I couldn't help but feel sad for them, but very grateful for those who have sacrificed so much for those of us who live here in this great country. I hope that they know how many millions of other people are also grateful for their courage. I felt very lucky to be there doing my field work at the school this week, if not I would have missed a very wonderful presentation.

Luckily, I still get to teach my morning preschool classes, but not my afternoon classes. The teacher who has taken over for me has done a wonderful job. I had to switch my schedule around last week and got to teach the afternoon students and they have learned so much and are still progressing in many areas, very comforting! But I still really miss them, as I will miss the wonderful students I've gotten to know in my sixth grade class these past 2 weeks.

2 comments:

Dr. Hudgins said...

I was wondering if you missed your pre-school I can't imagine you not missing those cute little ones. What is it like transitioning to older students?
I have to agree with you about your comments concerning the veterans. You made some good points. I worry about my own son who will be going to Iraq in December especially as you stated the state of affairs our country is in today.
Thanks for your comments and sharing your thoughts. I'm glad you are teaching and it is going so well. It does goes fast.

Mrs. Whitby said...

It sounds like you are learning as much from the students as they are learning from you Wendy. It is wonderful to hear how well it is going for you in yous sixth grade class. So were your pre-schoolers excited to see you? I can't believe it has been 3 weeks already. Take care and we will see you one Monday.

Michelangelo Video